inf & nan for mpq

Nic Schraudolph nic at schraudolph.org
Sat May 29 00:42:40 CEST 2010

Hello again,

as per my recent suggestion I've now implemented inf & nan handling
for mpq, using the canonical representations 1/0 for inf, -1/0 for -
inf, and 0/0 for nan. It's efficient since inf/nan checking is done at
the top level (often by keying into already existing checks for
special cases) while leaving the underlying integer representation
(and hence all mpz_* and mpn_* routines) unaffected.

The implementation is complete, covering all mpq_* functions,
including mpq_set_* and mpq_get_*. The predicates mpq_equal, mpq_sgn,
and mpq_cmp always return zero if any argument is nan, with the sole
exception that mpq_equal(nan, nan) = 1. This is in keeping with
standard floating-point implementations in which all boolean
predicates except is_nan() return false if any argument is nan. (The
alternative would be to raise an exception such as
GMP_ERROR_INVALID_ARGUMENT.)

I benchmarked this on two programs: the big chunk of C++ code I've
been converting to use mpq_class, and a simple little C program
(bbp.c, attached) that uses the BBP formula (naively) to calculate pi.
I cannot detect any significant difference in speed in either case.

I am attaching my implementation as a set of patches against gmp-5.0.1/
mpq. What would be the approved way to submit a contribution like this
to the main development branch?

Cheers,

- nic