IA64 & HAVE_ABI_64 question

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Tue May 11 10:14:47 CEST 2010

Steve Ellcey <sje at cup.hp.com> writes:

  On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 23:12 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
  > Steve Ellcey <sje at cup.hp.com> writes:
  >
  >   Attached is the output of the configure run, this is with GMP 4.2.4
  >   unmodified sources.  I ran configure with no options.  The compiler
  >   is the HP C compiler A.06.10.  config.guess returns
  >   itanium2-hp-hpux11.23 and configfsf.guess returns ia64-hp-hpux11.23.
  >   uname returns 'HP-UX xyz B.11.23 U ia64 2520031015 unlimited-user
  >   license'.
  >
  > GMP 4.2.4 is very old.  I am actually not too troubled by its
  > shortcomings.
  >
  > Why don't you use at least GMP 4.3.2 (which is still maintained)?

  I have just tried the newer version and it has the same problem.  If I
  set CC to "/opt/ansic/bin/cc +DD64" I still get the 32 bit ABI instead
  of the 64 bit ABI.

I must again ask you not to set CC or CFLAGS.  (It should work to set CC
to *the compiler* without sneaking in compiler options.  Yes, this shall
be made more resilient.)

  Here are the two configure outputs.  out.32 has no
  CC or CFLAGS set when configure is run, out.64 is what I get when I set
  CC to "/opt/ansic/bin/cc +DD64" to try and generate 64 bit libraries.
  I also tried not setting CC and setting CFLAGS to "+DD64", that didn't
  work any better then setting CC to "/opt/ansic/bin/cc +DD64".

The Fine Manual suggests using ABI=64 for selecting the 64-but ABI.  Did
you try that?