binary compatibility (was Re: GMP 5.0.0 released!)

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Fri Jan 8 17:02:16 CET 2010

On 01/08/2010 04:52 PM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> Yes, mpn_divexact will in one form or another become public.  And so
> will mpn_div_q, mpn_div_qr, mpn_bdiv_q, anf mpn_bdiv_qr, again in one
> form or another.

Thanks.

I also noticed that GMP 5 is using an interface "age" of 6.  This is
wrong since interface 9 is not backwards compatible with interface 8.
The fact that mpn_bdivmod was documented as mutable does not matter:
distributions will want to provide libgmp.so.3 and libgmp.so.9 for a
while, and this is not possible if GMP 5 says it is binary compatible
with 4.3.2.

I suggest that the attached patch is applied before distributions start
to complain.

Paolo