mpz_powm function for complex and adjoined numbers

David Gillies daggillies at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 09:24:26 CEST 2010

Nope. Not in GMP, anyway. Any arithmetic outside the most rudimentary
has to be built from essentials. Are you looking to define operations
on number fields? I've not encountered your field before. Is it like
Eisenstein integers (which are complex)? Your best bet is probably a
C++ class that obeys the arithmetic rules in your field, which can be
composed of elementary GMP/MPFR operations. GMP is quite low-level. In
most cases what you're doing is simply dropping it in to stop hitting
your head on a 32 or 64 bit precision ceiling. It's not Mathematica.
If you're doing, e.g., p-adics or rational polynomials and you run out
of headroom, then switch to GMP. But it won't do the heavy lifting for
you.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Bernhard Helmes <bhelmes at gmx.de> wrote:
> A beautifull day,
>
> is there a powermod function for complex numbers and adjoined numbers ?
>
> Adjoined numbers are for example  (1 + sqrt (2))
> The square root is adjoined. These numbers build a mathematical corpus.
>
> Both algorithms can be done with fast binary quadration modulo a number.
>
> Best regards
> Bernhard Helmes
>
> http://www.devalco.de
> --
> www.devalco.de         Development of Algorithmic Constructions
> www.rabbitweb.de      Jugglevideos
> www.beablue.de         personal web page
>
> Tel.: 0241 / 99 77 55 22 in Germany (0049)

David Gillies
San Jose
Costa Rica