GMP-4.3.1 build generates libgmp.so.3.5.0

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Wed Oct 7 22:27:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

Arabinda Verma wrote:
> I am building gmp-4.3.1 for building GCC tool chain. However, it is
> generating libgmp.so.3.5.0. Strange!!

The library version has nothing to do with its soname. Library
versioning is done as the developer deems reasonable. The library's
soname is determined by the evolution of the library's binary interface.

> I am doing build as follows:
>     ./configure --enable-cxx
>     make
>     make check
>     make install
>
> I need libgmp.so.4.1.0 or higher to build GCC.

Actually, you need GMP 4.1.0, not libgmp.so.4.1.0.

> Please let me know how I can resolve this. Your help will higly appriciated.

There's nothing to resolve.

> Am I missing some thing?

If you're interested, you may try this description:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Versioning.html>.

  -richy.
--
Richard B. Kreckel