gmp configure fails

Travis Baker baker.travis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 04:24:10 CEST 2009

Hi,
I have been having troubles installing the latest gmp package for a while
now, and have not had any success posting on gentoo forums, so I am hoping
there is someone here that can help me.

When trying to compile and install gmp the ./configure script fails with the
following error:

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
--host=powerpc-unkno
                                wn-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/sh
                                                      are --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib --localstatedir=/var/state/*gmp* --

disable-mpfr --disable-mpbsd --enable-cxx
./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
 *
 * ERROR: dev-libs/*gmp*-4.2.4 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   48:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2737:  Called econf
'--localstatedir=/var/state/*gmp*' '--disable-mpfr' '--disable-mpbsd'
'--enable-cxx'
 *               ebuild.sh, line  525:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   econf failed

This output is from an emerge, however the same failure occurs when i try to
run the ./configure step separately.

I thank you in advance for helping me out in this issue

Regards,
Travis