Building gmp library for the iPhone-Update

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Jul 16 13:46:10 CEST 2009

Pierre-Henri Jondot <mpkju at free.fr> writes:

  For some reason indeed, the -DNO_ASM was not there...

One of these days, we should teach configure to not allow strictly
necessary options to be accidentally overridden.

  So I've added it to the configure invocation, which is now :
  ./configure
  CC="/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2"
  CPP="/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/ bin/gcc-4.2 -E"
  LD="/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/ usr/bin/ld"
  CPPFLAGS="-arch armv6 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk -miphoneos-version-min=3.0 -DNO_ASM"
  --disable-shared --enable-static
  --prefix=/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/local
  --host=none-apple-darwin9

Pretty obvious.  :-)

  The library I obtained this way allowed me this time to build a simple
  test case and run it on an iphone.

  I'll try to investigate a bit about the asm file that fails to build,
  but I know no arm asm (or no asm at all I should say) and so far I
  have not been able to find much documentation, or at all, about
  apple's compiler, so most probably "porting GMP to the iPhone" will be
  out of my league...

Forget documentation.  Just explore the compiler output when using -S.