build gmp in windows xp

Michael Beight piman314 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:56:30 CET 2009

Hey Greicy,

> [...] my MINGW it does not come with Dev-C++ [...]

No problem:  You don't need Dev-C++ for building GMP;  that can be taken
care of entirely by MSYS.

Dev-C++ is just a GUI for MinGW, actually.

> [The] guide talk in to make a copy of mingw2-make.exe and

> rename this copy make.exe, but in my MinGW I didn't find
> this file I have a folder "mingw32" but this file is not there
> also. Can be this a possible problem? or I can go to steps
> compilation and installation?

If you've used MSYS before and haven't had a problem with this, then it
shouldn't be a problem now.

However, I had limited success attempting to build GMP with other versions
of MSYS besides 1.0.10;  so if you do run into any inexplicable errors, you
might try that.

Good luck, and be sure to check out the guides buried in the DevPaks, too;
they cover a number of potential problems that the first guide doesn't.  The
direct links are here, since the devpaks.org site is apparently down right
now:

http://sites.google.com/site/ssitey/gmp-4.3.1-1ext.DevPak   ("Generic C"
build)
http://sites.google.com/site/ssitey/gmp-4.3.1-2ext.DevPak   ("Fat Binary"