Question re LGPL

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr
Wed Apr 1 17:32:06 CEST 2009

       Bruce,

> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:10:46 +0800
> From: "Bruce M. Axtens" <bruce.axtens at gmail.com>
>
> G'day everyone
>
> I have a large project, which I shall call Z. Z runs on Windows and
> dynamically calls a DLL, Y, which is statically linked to GMP. Am I
> reading the license correctly if I assume that the source for Y must be
> released under the terms of the LGPL because it is statically linked to GMP?
>
> Kind regards,
> Bruce.

the answer depends on which version of GMP you are using. If the version of
GMP is under the LGPL v2.1, then according to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html, Section 6, you must
provide the user of Y with one of the choices a. to e, which do not all imply
that Y is released under LGPL.

Paul Zimmermann