GMP on the CELL processor

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at imag.fr
Wed Nov 12 13:37:28 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have an algorithm that I currently parallelize using OpenMP.
Basically, if I have n cores, I do the same operation on m lines of an
array, so I can split that into blocks of m/n lines each run on a core
(or finer adjustments taking into account the fact that each line does
not take the same time to process).

I was wondering whether it could be done on the CELL processor. I've
seen previous discussions on the same issue, but I think they looked at
the problem from a different angle. I'm not looking into parallelizing
GMP operations across the cores - just into
1) being able to run GMP operations in each core independently (this
requires being able to compile GMP for the SPU target); basically I
would assign m/n lines of the array to each of the n cores.
2) being able to transfer GMP data between the PPE and the SPE (this
looks like being able to do message passing with GMP data...).

Has somebody looked into that?