Use GMP as default implementation of integers in Python3

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Thu Nov 6 10:43:53 CET 2008

On 5 Nov 2008, at 22:48, James Youngman wrote:

>>  Do you know other successful integration of GMP in languages?
> I think GNU Common LISP uses CLN, which uses GMP's low-level
> functions.   See http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gcl/gcl/gmp/

The Haskell compiler GHC <http://haskell.org/ghc/> also uses (or
used) GMP. But Haskell is a statically typed language, where one can
choose between fixed sized types like Int, and variable sized
integers. So the latter are not used as general integral type, as the
original question seemed to ask for. It is possible to write Haskell
code that is nearly as fast as C code, but then one will have to
avoid high-level language constructs (discussed on the Haskell-Cafe
mailing list).

   Hans