GMP license problem, anyone?

Bill Hart goodwillhart at googlemail.com
Sat May 31 04:07:36 CEST 2008

Yes, tightly controlling code can lead to high quality code. I concede
that point. GMP code is also some of the most carefully written,
efficient, uniform and well written code I have seen.

I am truly thankful for your outstanding contributions in this regard.
I think I also made this point before.

It's clear I had some misconceptions about you. I truly thought the
SWOX press release was for real, for example. It hadn't occurred to me
it was a joke. I see clearly that the second press release is a joke.
I don't recall if I saw it before or not.

As for the rest, well I think it is time we all just got on and did
our work. Let's put the whole thing to one side. We've both had some
things to say about each other and it is time to call a truce and see
how we can best get on with the business of benefitting the
mathematical and computational communities.

It is my fervent hope that our two projects can be complementary and
that our project can fill a niche, just as yours does. The reason I
replied to the licensing question in the first place was because I
hoped for the freer flow of code and ideas between the two projects.

Here is the exchange that started it all:

Michael Abshoff to our development list:

Hi guys,

The following just popped up on the gmp mailing list. The email looks
legitimate, I edited the email address to prevent spam.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Michael