GMP license problem, anyone?

Bill Hart goodwillhart at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 15:50:59 CEST 2008

No I didn't reply privately intentionally. But I checked the header
and apparently I did only reply to you. It was meant to go to the
list.

As for your comments below, I think you need to just cool off.

You also know damned well what merging a patch means. It means someone
offers code to you which does something for GMP and you include that
code in an official release of GMP with perhaps some work to integrate
it with the existing code. You are the maintainer after all. That is
one of the well understood functions of a maintainer.

I didn't ask whether you had asked for large sums of money to do
targetted development of GMP. I asked if you had asked for a large sum
of money to merge a patch. You could answer:

1) No.
2) I was joking around with the guy and he took it the wrong way.
3) His patch required an extraordinary amount of work to merge and
would have taken many months to do.
4) I particularly didn't want that patch in GMP, and the amount I
asked for was a measure of how much I didn't want it.
5) Someone else indicated to me that the amount I asked was what they
would offer for a similar job, so that was what it was worth to me.
6) The guy was pushy and wanted it done by a certain time and it would
effectively cost me that much.
7) I would potentially lose a large contract if I merged that patch,
and that was the amount I would lose.
8) etc.

....any one of which would be a perfectly reasonable answer in my opinion.

I'm not painting you out to be anything. You regularly deal
offensively with people who try to submit bug reports, code and
questions to the GMP project in good faith. I've been on the receiving
end of it, and so have a number of my colleagues. Your own terse
have received by email from you. You've threatened to sue at least
three people I know who have tried to contribute to the project or
interact with you about it in good faith. You are painting yourself!

And I am telling you that at least one person I know told me you asked
them for money for merging a patch. Clearly not everything I've been
told is true. I believe you that you haven't made any real money out
of GMP. You told me how much you made, and I agree, it's not much.

But asking you whether what I was told, by someone - the person
involved - is true, is not libelous, and you know that. I was told
this, that is a fact, Whether what I was told was true, well I only
have their word for it, so I'm asking you.

I won't even bother replying to the other rubbish you write below.
People can make their own judgement about you and about me. You can go
ahead and make up whatever you like. People won't believe it anyway,
and I just checked my bank balance, and that didn't go down either.

Bill.