mpz_t C++ wrapper

Heiko Wundram modelnine at modelnine.org
Thu May 1 23:17:11 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2008 12:24:44 schrieb Joerg Arndt:
> Put the code on the web!

Done:

http://hg.modelnine.org/bigint

It's currently just the actual biginteger.hh include file (which implements
the mpz_class replacement as class BigInteger; but that should be pretty much
transparently typedef-able to mpz_class, except for get_mpz_t(), which is no
longer required and/or supported, but see my reply to TG for the reasons why
I did this), together with two (irrelevant) test and Makefiles I just hacked
together before posting the mail yesterday.

> > I plan on releasing the code under a BSD-style license anyway, it's just
> > that
>
> At least release it also under LGPL, else the code is unlikely to
> be ever part of GMP!  TG might have more comments here...

I have no problems releasing it under the LGPL either. But before doing that,
I'd first love to actually get some testing done on the code. The license in
the referenced (latest) sources in my mercurial repository is the standard
two-clause BSD license.

> > currently (because I only use _very_ limited parts of the wrapper in my
> > application) it's probably broken in one aspect or another, and generally
> > I can't actually say that there is any speed improvement in a
> > "real-world" application of it (simply because I don't know what
> > "real-world" terms look like). It shouldn't perform worse than mpz_class,
> > anyway (except possibly at compilation speed), but I just want to escape
> > all the NIH callers before releasing it... :-)
>
> Even if incomplete put it online (with a comment about the status).
> People may well contribute if the thing is promising.

The comment is part of the quote above. ;-)

Thanks for your feedback, and I'll have a look at CLN!

--
Heiko Wundram