mpz_t C++ wrapper

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Thu May 1 12:24:44 CEST 2008

* Heiko Wundram <modelnine at modelnine.org> [May 01. 2008 11:27]:
> Hi all!
>
> [...]

> Anyway, quite a few temporaries can be programmatically optimized out of an
> evaluation chain through meta-programming with templates, and I've basically
> reimplemented mpz_class using an "optimized" expression evaluation system, so
> that temporaries are only created when required to keep the general
> evaluation semantics of C++ (operators bind left, assignments bind right).

very nice IMHO

> Currently, I've only got my implementation of the ElGamal algorithm to
> benchmark (which manages to execute a somewhat larger number of verifying
> operations per second with my mpz_class re-implementation, but I'd not be
> that hypocritical to generalize from there...), but if there's any code base
> out there using mpz_class extensively (or someone knows of one they can point
> me at; Google isn't especially helpful here), I'd happily give any interested
> party access to the source so that they can test how/if my reimplementation
> fares better for them.

Put the code on the web!

> I plan on releasing the code under a BSD-style license anyway, it's just that

At least release it also under LGPL, else the code is unlikely to
be ever part of GMP!  TG might have more comments here...

> currently (because I only use _very_ limited parts of the wrapper in my
> application) it's probably broken in one aspect or another, and generally I
> can't actually say that there is any speed improvement in a "real-world"
> application of it (simply because I don't know what "real-world" terms look
> like). It shouldn't perform worse than mpz_class, anyway (except possibly at
> compilation speed), but I just want to escape all the NIH callers before
> releasing it... :-)

Even if incomplete put it online (with a comment about the status).
People may well contribute if the thing is promising.

> Anyway, just to give an (somewhat artificial) example:
>
> mpz_class val, val2;
> val = val * val2 * 3 + 10 * val;
>
> produces with my mpz_class reimplementation with g++ -O3 (transcribed from the
> generated assembly):
>
> mpz_init(tmp)
> mpz_mul(tmp,val,val2)
> mpz_mul_si(tmp,tmp,3)
> mpz_init(tmp2)
> mpz_mul_si(tmp2,val,10)
> mpz_add(val,tmp,tmp2)
> mpz_clear(tmp)
> mpz_clear(tmp2)
>
> with the default mpz_class implementation with g++ -O3 (transcribed from the
> generated assembly):
>
> mpz_init(tmp)
> mpz_init(tmp2)
> mpz_mul(tmp2,val,val2)
> mpz_mul_si(tmp,tmp2,3)
> mpz_clear(tmp2)
> mpz_init(tmp3)
> mpz_mul_si(tmp3,val,10)
> mpz_add(val,tmp,tmp3)
> mpz_clear(tmp)
> mpz_clear(tmp3)

This indicates that your approach is a good one!

> Thanks for any feedback!

Hopefully TG comments some more, especially on what the priorities
to have a quality C++ wrapper are.

Btw. you may want to check out CLN.

> --
> Heiko Wundram