Could we agree to disagree and come together on improvements andclean-up?

NightStrike nightstrike at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 00:02:16 CEST 2008

Replying off-list

On 6/1/08, Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.org> wrote:
> I don't understand. For the time being, this is not a question of
> performance. GCC needs GMP. If GMP doesn't work on some platform,
> then GCC won't work either.

Vincent,

You seem to be understanding of what's going on, and much less
"Anti-Windows" than most, so I thought I'd email you.  Right now, the
"Gcc on Win64" team consists of myself, and Kai (Kai does 99.999% of
the coding work).  What can we do to get to a viable solution for GCC
on this platform?  How can we work with Torbjorn to get GMP fixed?  As
I understand it, he has the final say on everything, which means that
he controls what platforms GMP (and by extension, MPFR, and then GCC)
run on.

As a note, GCC needs MPFR, not GMP.  MPFR needs GMP, however.  Just to
make it clear some of the questions on precision and speed
requirements and whatnot.