AIX Questions

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:26:39 CEST 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 6:20 AM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

>> Perhaps __64BIT__ is defined by "the compiler", but it is not defined
>> by any GCC on any of the machine I use.
>
>  Not true.  gcc defines __64BIT__
>
> Clever.  So your gcc install does define it, good.  Unfortunately, GMP
> needs to work on other systems but yours.

Again, my objective was to make this work for AIX since the original
topic was to be able to use its ability to store 32 and 64 bit objects
in the same archive.  To do that and keep it "AIX"ish, I would use
__64BIT__.  Its what AIX programmers want and it is supported by xlc
and gcc.

But, if, for some reason, you are wanting something that cuts across
all platforms, there is this:

@item __LP64__
@itemx _LP64
These macros are defined, with value 1, if (and only if) the compilation
is for a target where @code{long int} and pointer both use 64-bits and
@code{int} uses 32-bit.

This is used on AIX as well as my Mac platform.  But, just to repeat,
I don't think that is really want you want to use.  For one thing, xlc
is not going to use it.

Perry
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems