using GMP's algorithms in other projects

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Fri Aug 29 13:21:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 13:09 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>   Is it allowed to use the code from GMP for that?
>      Answer = yes, but if you do that then you must also publish your
>      code.
>
> This is a misunderstanding.  You do not need to publish derivate
> works.  But if you do distribute them, you have to publish them under
> the (L)GPL.

Is that *really* the case?

Suppose I write some code which makes non-trivial calls to GMP and
distribute it only as source under a license whereby I explicitly forbid
redistribution of my own code in any form other than source.  The
imposition of that condition means my license can not be {L,GPL}
compatible.  On the other hand, recipients of my code can easily make
derivative works which they can't then distribute, despite what the
{L,}GPL would like them to be able to do.

Perhaps that is the case.  If so, my only response is "Lawyers ---
pah!".

Paul