using GMP's algorithms in other projects

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Fri Aug 29 11:01:43 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 23:46 +0200, Kevin Sopp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a public domain c++ multi precision integer library.
> I'm specifically interested in the subquadratic algorithm used to
> convert strings to large integers. My question is, is it generally
> allowed to use GMP's algorithms? While this is probably true for the
> ones described in your documentation, is it true as well for the ones
> that exist only in code?

The standard approach is the one used by Compaq to set up the entire
PC-compatible industry.

One team reads the code then describes the algorithms and data
structures, communication protocols, etc in human-readable language
(note NOT machine readable).

Another team takes that specification and implements it under clean-room
conditions.  That is, the implementers never look at the original source
and, if necessary, can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt.

Whether, in this case, it may just be easier to go to the original
literature and implement everything ab initio remains to be seen.

Paul