GMP 4.2.2 Build for Visual Studio 2005

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Wed Sep 19 20:08:25 CEST 2007

Michael Abshoff wrote:
> Brian Gladman wrote:
>
>> The projects can be built with the Intel compiler (after conversion of
>> the build projects) and a new feature of the latest version of the Intel
>> compiler allows GCC inline assembler code to be used.
>>

> Can you document exactly how you did that? I am still interested in
> learning how to do that just in case you stop doing the maintenance of the
> MSVC port.

Hello Michael

When the Intel compiler is installed in Visual Studio 2005 it provides
automatic conversion between Microsoft project and Intel project
files.   With the help of the Intel compiler support team and the latest
Intel compiler I have now been able to get this automatic process to
work for the new GMP build (it didn't work before). So all that is
necessary is a simple project  conversion followed by a normal build.

To enable the Intel use of the GCC inline code, I have moified the GMP
longlong.h file to take out the x86 32 and 64 bit stuff within the
section guarded by:

#if defined (__GNUC__)

and put this in a new section guarded by:

#if defined ( __GNUC__ ) || defined( __INTEL_COMPILER )

so that it is picked up by the Intel compiler.

If the Gnu/Linux Intel compiler also has this GCC inline capability,
this should work for this compiler as well.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.

      Brian Gladman