Pi_Chud Demo, mpf_out_str, etc

Jim White mathimagics at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 21:00:41 CET 2007

To the best of my recollection:

1. Some convert-to-string functions in gmp were quite
inefficient, until improvements were recently made
(these from Paul Zimmermann, MPFR team).

2. Since GMP 4.2, I have had no such problems, nor
have I had any problems with the pi-chudnovsky demo
program.  Moving on from GMP 4.1 seems to be a prudent
step.

3. In any case, if you compute any number to a million
digits precision, why on Earth would you convert that
to a base-10 representation at all?  Who might be
interested in reading this data?

If the value needs to be recorded, it's surely better
to save it in raw binary form, isn't it?

Regards

Jim White
MSI, ANU
Canberra