CFLAGS suggestion

Kate Minola kate01123 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:38:07 CET 2007

A suggestion -

At least two packages that I am aware of (ecm, mpfr) that
depend on gmp recommend using the same CFLAGS that
gmp uses.

The only way I know to get this information is to save the
output of gmp's configure script and look at the CFLAGS= line.

It would be nice if gmp wrote this information to a file that
was installed with gmp.  That way, a package that depended
on gmp could write it's configure so that if it uses the --with-gmp
option, it could look at the CFLAGS gmp used and possibly
modify its Makefile to use the same CFLAGS.  Currently I have
to explicitly set the CFLAGS environment variable by hand.

Kate Minola
University of Maryland, College Park