mpf_root?

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Fri Dec 28 15:48:44 CET 2007

I am clearly missing something, which may not be too surprising as I now
have a nasty attack of flu with all the unpleasant symptoms that
implies.

I would use double precision floating point to get an initial estimate
thus:

double dc, dp = p, dq = q, dn = n;
dc = exp ((log (dq) - log (dp)) / dn) - 1.0;

followed by a single iteration of Newton-Raphson in integer arithmetic
to polish the result.

(Hope the C above is ok.  I took the liberty of inverting p/q to remove
the need for the reciprocal.  I further assumed that p and q are both >=
1. If this is not the case, you run into all sorts of nasty special
cases.

Paul