Problems compiling the patches on the tidbits page

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Wed Sep 20 16:06:49 CEST 2006

They are meant for people that contribute to GMP, or are considering
to contribute to GMP.

  * first error (get_str.c/set_str.c):

  A header seems to be missing. The type powers_t is not defined. Could
  somebody please provide the missing typedef or header file?

I added some lines to the web page about this.

  * second error: divexact.c

  divexact.h was not found.

Well, you must have misplaced it!

  I could work around this problem by creating a
  symlink in the gmp source-rootdir:

Whereever you put it, you need to tell the compiler how to find it.
This is a beginner's issue, not an issue for a GMP developer!

  * third error: "make check" complains about missing symbols which seem
  to be defined in mpn/generic/qstack.c:

So why do you complain, you know where they are defined.
Compile that file, dammit!  :-)

I think you've misunderstood the aim of publishing the developer's
tidbits.  They are not meant to be drop-in replacements for the
existing code.