status

Joppe Bos jwbos at science.uva.nl
Thu Feb 16 16:44:45 CET 2006

Hello,

I tested your code on this machine:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 47
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1802.397
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 3530.75
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

with: __TIMING_ON__, __USE_GMP_POWM__ and __BASE_IS_PRIME__ defined.
I modified only this line: typedef long unsigned powmtype;

I run the newest GMP version with the assembly code profided in this
mailinglist. I compiled with:
gcc -O3 -Wall -o phitest phitest.c -lgmp

I canceled the output after five hours, the output is:

time ./phitest
measuring runtime in high range:
Time for new function=11 sec
Time for old function=16 sec
measuring runtime in low range:
Time for new function=26 sec
Time for old function=38 sec

checking for correctness (divisibility)
the function seems to be correct
starting long check for correctness!
for each number n we check if base^eulerPhi(n)=1 (mod n) which always
should be true!
450676002/2100000100

real    306m3.687s
user    292m44.141s
sys     0m6.388s

So everything looks like it worked ok. Your code is indeed faster.

I am interested in such an aggregated patch, I have only applied the new
gcd code once but never tried to use other tid bits.

I hope this helped you,

Joppe Bos