Exponential of a mpf_t or mpf_class

Marc cucuforcoffee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:29:03 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've been using mpf_class and mpf_t in some numerical programs where the
results do not fit into doubles. All was well until it was required to take
the exponential of an mpf_t.

Specifically, I've been using GNU GSL with GNU GMP. Calling gsl_sf_exp() on
a mpf_t that has been converted to a double results in an overflow. I'd
appreciate help in solving this problem. I looked to see if there was an
arbitrary power function to a float for GMP, but didn't see one listed in
the documentation.

I'd appreciate any possible solutions for this problem. GMP has solved many
of my large number problems, but this last issue remains.

Thanks,
  Marc.