important change in mpfr

Will Galway galway at math.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 1 15:39:17 CEST 2006

Your proposed change sounds like an improvement, but I'd like to
encourage you to consider using a more traditional sexagesimal
(radix-60) representation instead.  This would have the obvious
advantage of being more memory-efficient, and the use of a sublinear
radix-conversion algorithm should still allow a reasonably low cost
for converting to decimal (or binary).

I hope that you, Torbjorn, and the other MPFR/GMP developers give my
proposal the serious consideration that it deserves.  Happy April 1st.

-- Regards, Will
( mailto:galway at math.uiuc.edu  http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~galway )