GCC quality (was Re: AMD-64 optimizations, some (new) code)

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Tue Sep 27 21:49:02 CEST 2005

On 27 Sep 2005, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> I think the entire software community has a very serious attitude
> problem leading to quality problems with almost all software.  GCC,
> the Linux kernel, Windows, etc, are examples.

That's not fair.  Do you submit these bugs you keep finding "spread over
the platforms"?  I was unable to find more than four PRs filed in GCC's
bugzilla matching your name.  Moreover, you failed to respond to two of
them although the maintainers explicitly solicited your feedback!  That
attitude is not exactly helpful when it comes to improving software
quality.

Don't get me wrong: If your motto is "pauca sed matura" you are entitled
to call a product with four bugs crappy, all right.(*)  But publicly
whining about bugs that haven't surfaced except in an unpublished
testsuite does have an odor of spreading FUD.

Regards
   -richy.

(*) Just imagine: finding no more than four bugs in Windows -- even not
    just on a single day!
--
Richard B. Kreckel
<http://www.ginac.de/~kreckel/>