[patrick.pelissier@gmail.com: Fwd: Optimizing 1/x]

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Wed Sep 14 00:35:54 CEST 2005

On 13 Sep 2005, at 10:08, Paul Leyland wrote:

>> The first thing to note is that the position varies by jurisdiction.
>> However, most countries have signed up to the Geneva Convention
>> and so
>> the legal regimes are broadly similar in much of the world.

Local copyright laws and the copyright treaty
   http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/wct/trtdocs_wo033.html
may differ considerably. Therefore, similar situations could in the
case of patents.

> Addendum: The position also varies by geographical location if the
> inventors have not filed their patents in particular jurisdictions.  A
> well-known historical example is RSA public key cryptography, patented
> only in the USA.  That particular patent has expired and anyone is
> free
> to make, distribute and use the invention.

I could be that algorithms are not patentable everywhere (I do not
know). Scientific results are normally not patentable.

   Hans Aberg