GCC quality (was Re: AMD-64 optimizations, some (new) code)

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Sat Oct 1 01:53:27 CEST 2005

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions.net> writes:

  Torbjorn Granlund <tege at swox.com> writes:

  | A somewhat common bug is to rewrite (x > N) as (x - N > 0) with
  | variations.  This was triggered recently for alpha, where the
  | latter allows for 16 bit constants whereas the former only allows
  | 8-bit constants.

  That is worrysome.  Was a GCC PR filed for it?

I believe I actually did report that one.  And I actually
supplied a patch.  Then someone suggested an incorrect change,
and we ended up in a discussion loop.  In the end, he rejected my
small and correct patch and committed something more complex but
"invented here",