best way to do "fermat" primalty checks

Jim Fougeron jfoug at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 03:39:06 CET 2005

Woltman would be the one to talk to about squaring and multiplying in FFT in a modular world, but I am 90% sure that the FFT library does not convert in/out of FFT space, until you need the "exact" value (i.e. when done, or to save a resume file, where you need the flat number).  When numbers get large, the timings between GMP and the woltman code do not even compare.  at 100k bits, GMP is probably 6 to 10 times slower.  At 500k bits, it is probably 100x slower (do not quote me on this, I have not run timing tests, but am pretty sure this is not too far from reality).  Also, I am pretty sure that in the Woltman FFT's, you are limited to an exponentiation base that is pretty small (8 bits is what is coded into PFGW, but I have been able to "get away with" up to 22 bits under certain conditions)

As for the reductions, I was refering to building reduction code for specific numeric "types", which does not translate into general purpose methods, like what would be needed for GMP.

For Mersenne/Fermat form of number, there is a well known "reductionless" method, the DWT.   What I was refering to, was direct O(n) reduction of other forms of numbers, such as k*b^n+-c, or binonmial, or other generalized forms which have "trick" methods of reduction perform a mod withouth reverting to division .

However, for GMP, being that it is general purpose, adding these reduction methods may not be all that beneficial in the lib code.  However, if someone were to build them, and allow them to be "bolted" on as an extension to the mpz (or mpn) layer, and allow the code to be

dec>