Why is it compiling GMP so hard?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Thu Mar 10 14:23:26 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Fausto Arinos Barbuto wrote:
>     I wonder why there isn't a GMP Windows installer somewhere or
>     a zipped file with the pre-compiled libraries. Down with the
>     convoluted installation instructions and makefiles! ;-)

Maybe what should be done is complain at your operating system vendor
instead of at the GMP folks.  I mean, why is there no POSIX-compliant
shell capable of running GMP's configure?  Why are there no sed, tr, grep
and all the little utilities invoked by configure?  Why is there no
compilier with decent syntax for its switches?  Why is there on make on
that platform you're using?  Sheez, that's deprivation!

Fun
  -richy.
--
Richard B. Kreckel