Why is it compiling GMP so hard?

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Wed Mar 9 19:49:27 CET 2005

"Fausto Arinos Barbuto" <fausto_barbuto at yahoo.ca> writes:

      I got interested in GMP very recently -- yesterday, to be precise ;-) --
      and downloaded the tarball for compilation of the sources. Sweet
      illusion, it seemed to having started well but nothing worked. I
      have W2000 and cygwin; ./configure yielded an error at the end,
      something related to some file called "m4" which I don't know
      what is nor have ever heard about -- that typical Unix/Linux crap.

      I wonder why there isn't a GMP Windows installer somewhere or
      a zipped file with the pre-compiled libraries. Down with the
      convoluted installation instructions and makefiles! ;-)

You need to be able to read perhaps 30 lines of English text in
order to install GMP.  Many people can actually cope with such an
intellectual undertaking.

We intentionally don't provide an installation icon to click, as
people in need of that will often find themselves in great
trouble when actually attempting to program for the library.

;-)