building with GCC 4.0

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Thu Jul 21 17:28:38 CEST 2005

"Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins at videotron.ca> writes:

  On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:14:20AM +0200, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
  > "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins at videotron.ca> writes:
  >
  >   The web page has lots of scary cautions against using GCC 4, including:
  >
  >     As an example, of the 5 platforms where we've tried GCC 4.0.0, GCC
  >     doesn't build on two platform, and miscompiles GMP on the other
  >     three platforms. ... The GMP testsuite has great coverage, but it is
  >     not perfect, which means a make check isn't a guarantee.
  >
  >   Were the three GMP miscompilations caught by the test suite?  If not,
  >   how did you detect them?
  >
  > With the testsuite of what will become gmp 5.

  Ah.  Is the new test suite in CVS?  Could the existing test suite be
  augmented with new tests that exhibit compiler problems?

I don't know.  I'll see if I can find the time to backport the
new testsuite.

  > Was any 64-bit system part of your builds?  I recall than several
  > of the problems I experienced was with 64-bit systems.

  Yes, the 64-bit intel ("ia64").  It built and ran the test suite
  successfully.  I haven't checked any further.

I know for sure that the development GMP sources GCC 4.0.0 on
ia64 has serious problems.

I have played with GCC 4.0.1 the last days, and things look
better.  It is too early to recommend GCC 4.0.1 though.  But it
surely seems less buggy that GCC 4.0.0.