building with GCC 4.0

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Fri Jul 15 11:14:20 CEST 2005

"Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins at videotron.ca> writes:

  The web page has lots of scary cautions against using GCC 4, including:

    As an example, of the 5 platforms where we've tried GCC 4.0.0, GCC
    doesn't build on two platform, and miscompiles GMP on the other
    three platforms. ... The GMP testsuite has great coverage, but it is
    not perfect, which means a make check isn't a guarantee.

  Were the three GMP miscompilations caught by the test suite?  If not,
  how did you detect them?

With the testsuite of what will become gmp 5.

  Debian has just made the transition to GCC 4, and GMP was among the
  first packages rebuilt.  So far, all the architectures but one (m68k)
  have successfully built the package -- which includes running the
  test suite.  How worried should we be?

That's a good question.  With my experience, I am not going to
touch gcc 4.0.0 generated code with a stick.

The testsuite of gmp 4.1.4 is considerably smaller than the test
suite in the development gmp, and gmp 4 is considerably smaller
than the development gmp.  Your success with gmp 4.1.4 and gcc
4.0.0 might be due to the smaller testsuite, or that the gmp
4.1.4 sources actually doesn't trigger any gcc 4.0.0 bugs.

Was any 64-bit system part of your builds?  I recall than several
of the problems I experienced was with 64-bit systems.