GMP 64 bit configure for Solaris 8 fails

Paul Dubuc pdubuc at cas.org
Thu Feb 24 22:06:59 CET 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to build gmp-4.1.4 for Solaris 8 using GCC 3.3.4.  I'm configuring
with ABI=64 --enable-cxx.  configure fails with the following message:

checking for suitable m4... m4
checking if m4wrap produces spurious output... no
checking how to switch to text section... .text
checking how to switch to data section... .data
checking what assembly label suffix to use... :
checking how to export a symbol... .globl
checking if globals are prefixed by underscore... configure: error: Test program
links neither with nor without underscore.
gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
gmake: *** No rule to make target `check'.  Stop.

When I set ABI=32 it works and builds fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix or workaround available?

Thanks,
--
Paul M. Dubuc

"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your
best." -- W. Edwards Deming