Lengthy arrays and SIGSEGV

Blake Huff stangmechanic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:06:29 CET 2005

Hi all:

I'm trying to allocate some integer (mpz_t) arrays with hundreds of
thousands of elements.  However, the following code  with an
ARRAY_SIZE of 700000 fails, but works with 600000. Changing the
number of bits being allocated doesn't seem to change the outcome.
I've configured the library with --disable-alloca to get around the
stack allocation issue, but I still get a SIGSEGV error from GCC 4.0
on Apple OS 10.4.3.  Anyone know if it's possible to get a larger array?

#define ARRAY_SIZE 700000
int main (int argc, const char * argv[]) {

	mpz_t test_array[ARRAY_SIZE];
	mpz_array_init(test_array[0], ARRAY_SIZE, 32);

	return 0;
}

Thanks in advance!

Blake Huff