64-bit GMP on Apple G5/OS X v10.4 (Rev 2)

Alex Greenbank alex at greenbank.org
Thu Dec 1 13:56:07 CET 2005

Hello,

[ Replying to an old post from Jun 4 2005 ]

> Apple's latest version of OS X, v10.4 Tiger, includes support for
> true 64-bit operation on its G5 models which use the PowerPC 970
> processor. The attached G5_64bit_GMP414_rev2.zip file contains
> some improved assembly code and some slight revisions to my
> original post from late April.

Thank you! Having just got my new PowerMac I was hoping someone
had done this.

> This revision gives an overall GMPbench-0.1 score of 5197.

5204.6 achieved on a 2.5GHz G5 (Quad). (-m64 added to CFLAGS)

I was also able to compile it with gcc-4.0.

I had to change a few registers used in addmul_1.c, submul_1.c
and lshift.c.

gcc complains about the use of r31 (which it has assigned as the
PIC register). For all 3 files I did a global search and replace
to change every instance of r31 to r2 (which wasn't used in any
of them). All tests passed after doing this and recompiling.

Ta,

-Alex

Signup at www.doteasy.com