Installing GMP on OS X 10.3.x

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Aug 4 19:19:03 CEST 2005

Amit Bhatia wrote:
> I have the gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1640) on os
> X 10.3
> I also have fink packages installed(all the usual ones).
> I am trying to install the PPL package where it shows the following
> requirements:
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/requirements
>
> Do I need to install GMP package or is it included and already installed?
> on doing "locate gmp", the following came up:
>
> /sw/lib/libgmp.3.3.2.dylib
> /sw/lib/libgmp.3.dylib
> /sw/lib/libgmpxx.3.0.4.dylib
> /sw/lib/libgmpxx.3.dylib
> /sw/share/doc/gmp-shlibs
>
> and some more..
> so does this mean it is already installed? How can I check what version is
> installed?
> If it is not then how do I go abt doing it? I read at some other place that
> there are some mac specific issues?

Dear Amit,

I don't know which problem you are facing.  However, my advice is to compile
GMP from sources.  I have just tried the following on a friend's computer
runinng Mac OS X 10.3 and it works as expected:

$ mkdir -p tmp/ppl
$ cd tmp/ppl
$ wget http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.1.4.tar.bz2
$ tar jxf gmp-4.1.4.tar.bz2
$ cd gmp-4.1.4
$ ./configure --prefix=/Users/bagnara/tmp/ppl --enable-cxx --disable-shared
$ make
$ make install
$ cd ..
$ wget http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/ftp/snapshots/ppl-0.8pre4.tar.bz2
$ tar jxf ppl-0.8pre4.tar.bz2
$ cd ppl-0.8pre4
$ ./configure --with-libgmp-prefix=/Users/bagnara/tmp/ppl --prefix=/Users/bagnara/tmp/ppl
$ make

I hope it helps.
All the best,

    Roberto