convert mpf t to double with rounding-modes defined by ieee754

Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho decio at decpp.net
Mon Aug 1 10:40:12 CEST 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:29 AM, usenett at gmx.de wrote:

>> Why not use mpfr_t throughout, without making any conversions?
>>
>> Or are you implying that MPFR is inefficient?
>>

> I don't want to say that MPFR is inefficient, I'm far away from
> this view.
> But for my situation (simulating a long accumulator) I prefer GMP,
> cause
> MPFR has a bigger functionality than I need and that makes it slow
> for my
> purpose.

I don't see how bigger functionality and speed are related. Do you
have actual numbers to back up your statement, or is this just an
instance of the old `C++ is slow' mentality?

> The only advantage is the closing rouned double conversion.
> Of course later on a comparison between my implementation and MPFR
> would be
> interesting.

I find it very hard to believe that you could do better than MPFR.
It's not like the MPFR authors are some random web/VB code monkeys
releasing a weekend project on Sourceforge.

Décio