div.c and other questions

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Mon Sep 27 17:17:50 CEST 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Patrick Pelissier wrote:
>

>>>The problem is that MSVC implemented the 'near' keyword as a modifier to
>>>pointers, like 'const'.  So you could have:
>>>    mp_limb_t near * foo_p;
>>>(foo_p is a near pointer to an mp_limb_t).
>>>
>>>I agree that this is a non-conformance to the standard.  But this is also
>>>the company that gave us WinMain().
>>
>> Aren't there any flags/options to remove this checking?
>

> I don't think so, but it's been quite some time since I've played with
> MSVC++.
>
> Hopefully, someone who has access to the documentation will be more
> specific.

I've looked in the doc for MV-VisualStudio.NET aka MSVC++7.0. The
*compiler* has no knowledge of "near" and "far" (concept gone since
MSVC++1.52 actually!) They are hash-defined to empty string by windef.h,
and no header file shipped by MS uses near or far - *except* windef.h
itself! Beurk.

Anyway, I see only 2 possibilities:

(1) Consider "near" and "far" as de facto reserved words.

(2) Replace the windef.h by one that makes aboslutely no mention of near
of far.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles