GMP install trouble on OS X Server 10.2.8

Hans Vallden hans.vallden at kirnauskis.com
Sat Mar 6 13:11:25 CET 2004

I tried to follow the instructions at
http://www.mail-archive.com/clamav-users%40lists.sourceforge.net/
msg04589.html to install ClamAV.

When trying to first 'make' the required GMP 4.1.2, I got the following
error.

libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CC'

and GMP failed to install. (I used ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local
--enable-cxx --enable-fft --enable-mpbsd --enable-mpfr --enable-shared
--disable-static --with-user=root to configure GMP)

I had a feeling this problem was caused by an outdated version of
glibtool (1.4.2) in OS X Server 10.2.8. So I went ahead and updated
everything I could think of. GCC to 3.3, autoconf, automake, sed, gawk,
and of course libtool all to their latest versions (I used ./configure
--prefix=/usr for autoconf, automake, sed, gawk, and libtool).

After doing these upgrades, I get a new type of libtool complaint when
trying to 'make' GMP. And I have to admit, now I'm pretty clueless as
to why. Can anyone suggest what the problem could be.

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-D__GMP_WITHIN_GMP -I.. -DOPERATION_`echo mp_bases | sed 's/_$//'`
-g -O2 -mpowerpc -no-cpp-precomp -c -o mp_bases.lo mp_bases.c
../libtool: s%^.*/%%: No such file or directory
../libtool: -e: command not found
*** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
*** Future versions of Libtool will require -mode=MODE be specified.
../libtool: -e: command not found
: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `'