[Administrivia] Identifying list messages

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Mon Mar 1 11:27:08 CET 2004

Linus Nordberg wrote:

> David McKen <cic_3_b at yahoo.com> wrote
> Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:45:16 -0800 (PST):
>
> |  Also to the list moderators/owners, would it be too much trouble to
> |  put a header in the subject for all messages sent to the GMP mailing
> |  list? e.g. the  subject for this message would change to
> |  "[GMP-discuss]What algorithm is used in mpz_divisible_p" or something
> |  similar. I happen to be on a couple other mailing lists and it helps
> |  me differentiate between valid e-mails and spam.
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you could use the "List-Id" header and have some of your mail
> software sort list messages to one or several separate mail folders?
>
> For this list, the header looks like this:

> If this is a viable option for most of you, I'd rather not insert
> anything in the subject header.

But why? Many many lists do it, and I find it more practical than
automatic dispatch to folders, because I can look at *all* my new mail
at a glance.

Also, an automatic Reply-To: would avoid threads going off-list by
mistake, which necessitates exchange of private mail for the
authorization to quote private mail etc ad nauseam.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles