How to "undo" mpz_invert()

Saverio Trioni saverio at mat.uab.es
Mon Dec 27 17:52:37 CET 2004

As the word suggests, making the "inverse" of an integer modulo p has
two properties:

1) it is an inverse, so the inverse of the inverse should be the
original number.

2) it is modulo p, so it cannod tell between x and x+p.

So what?
Well, the inverse modulo 13 of 2 is 7 (2*7=14) and the inverse of 7 is
2. But the inverse of 15 is 7 too. You cannot retrieve 15.
 From the manual:
"If the inverse exists, the return value is non-zero and rop will
satisfy 0 <= rop < op2."
You can retrieve the original number if it was already less than the
"modulo". In this case you have just to re-invert your result!

Bye.