Another performance question

DTAshley at aol.com DTAshley at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 18:40:45 CEST 2004

I personally wouldn't approach the problem that way.

First, if you are going to represent rational time values (and they will all
be rational--some fraction of a second), then figure out what those
denominators can be, and choose a denominator that includes all of those prime factors
in the required multiplicity, i.e. LCM (a, b, c, etc.).  Then, just represent
time as large integers in those units.  For example, if you know that 90,000 of
a second, 44100 of a second, and microseconds are all common, then find
LCM(90000, 44100, 1000000) and use that as a basis.  Then, all times are integers,
not rational numbers.

Second, if I were to optimize the GMP (using integer arithmetic as an
example), I would do it in a more general way than reusing a pointer as an integer.
Why don't you make a preprocessor constant that specifies the number of limbs
to use before you have to "overflow" to allocation and deallocation.  Or, you
could get even more general and say that the lowest-order N limbs are held
statically and any needed above that are allocated.

It would look something like this:

#define GMP_N_LIMBS_COMMON_INTS   (4)
    /* Customized per application, speeds things up in some applications by
   ** eliminating allocation and deallocation when the integers are "small"
in an
   ** application dependent sense of "small".
   */

struct GMP_Int
   {
   int nlimbs;
   int low_limbs[GMP_N_LIMBS_COMMON_INTS];
   int *high_limbs;
   }

So, instead of reusing the integer pointer to perhaps hold an integer, make
the scheme more general where the notion of a "small" integer is
application-dependent and results in huge performance gains when only integers of that size
and below are manipulated.  The performance gains come from no allocation and
deallocation.

I understand all the implications of what I'm suggesting, and there is a bit
more complexity than what I've suggested above.

But, for many applications of the GMP, this approach would pay back heavily.

Good idea in spirit.  I would just suggest generalizing to have an
application-dependent notion of "small".

Best regards, Dave.

In a message dated 4/30/2004 4:44:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,