Bit interleaving

Torbjorn Granlund tg at swox.com
Sat Apr 3 03:17:39 CEST 2004

Karl Hasselström <kha at treskal.com> writes:

  On 2004-04-02 08:43:36 +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

  > 1) Write C routines that do the interleaving directly on the
  > representation level. Downside: constant maintenance overhead for
  > keeping in sync with GMP updates. Advantage: seems to be fastest.

  You probably won't have to do much "constant maintenance", since this
  aspect of GMP internals is very static.

We actually indend to play with the field names to discourage
direct use of the internal data structures.

As Kevin pointed out, the right interface for portable code is
mpz_import and mpz_export.

To answer the suggestions about bit shuffle routines in GMP: I
don't think that is going to happen.  It seems very application
specific.

[Sorry for the delay in forwarding your message to the list, the
vast spam message the moderators need to wade through makes it
hard to spot ham messages.]