Optimizing Modulus (was Re: Would someone mind elaborating the explanation in the manual?)

David McKen cic_3_b at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 08:26:05 CET 2003

Hmm, that might work.

I am also trying a speed-space analysis of my program and I would
like to know how much memory is used by a mpz_t? I work in loads of
about 1000000 to 10000000 numbers a load so breaking this up like
that would probably be quite efficient.

This chunk of code is probably the main chunk that called that mod
function so much. I only posted the first chunk because alot of the
numbers won't even get past it (that and the fact that I forgot
completly about this loop).  The size of the list of prime numbers is
variable. I know it is making some difference as the bigger I make
the list the faster the entire process gets (the upper limit
unfortunately is the amount of memory in the system, once it starts
swapping to disk things slow down). Right now I am testing using all
the prime numbers between 100 and 1,000,000 (this was used when
calculating all my past times).

--Begin
//Final optimization. Use a list of prime numbers to further weed out
//Unnesesary divisions.
break_loop = false;
curr_prime = prime_num_list.begin();
while(curr_prime != prime_num_list.end()) {
  remainder = mpz_divisible_ui_p(up_counter, *curr_prime);
  if(remainder) {
    curr_prime++;
  } else {
    break_loop = true;
    break;
  }
}
if(break_loop) {
  update_func(up_counter, up_counter, 2);
  continue;
}
--End

If the numbers get past both my hard coded checks (divisibility by
all primes less than 100, repeat of the if statement I posted
earlier) and this loop (all other primes greater then 100 less than
whatever my limit is) then I get lazy and feed it into the
divisibility function that comes with GMP (which is really slow).

Another question:
How fast is the C++ interface? OOP is usually slower but as far as I
can tell most wrappers if they are inline show just about no real
performance difference. Is GMP different?

=====
Signed
David Mcken

Life Sucks