mpf_get_str() is slow for big numbers?

delta trinity deltatrinity at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:44:20 CET 2003

:)

Well, I guess that mpz_out_str is general for all bases.  For sure, the
problem with arbitary bases is that it require divisions and remainder
operations over the whole number, and for each digits.  Ex, for positive
numbers, repeat:
1 - digit = number mod base
2 - number = number / base
3 - if number > 0, go to step 1.

Even if steps 1 can be done in the same step, this can meen a lot divisions
for really big numbers.

In some bases though, like base 2, 4, 16, the process can be accelerated by
dropping the divisions.  Only masks are needed.  No need to even use
extensive shifts operations.  Just run through each limbs and do a AND mask.

I wonder if GMP is built with such optimizations.  The speed difference may
come from that.  With the optimization, for base 16 for example, the runtime
become linear to the number of digits (O = ln(n))

Eric