impdef, msvc++ 6, and GMP

Sisyphus kalinabears at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 8 09:50:19 CET 2003

Ike Evans wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2003 at 12:20, Sisyphus wrote:
>

>>It's just so much nicer and easier if people can simply take the dll and
>>build the lib using only msvc++, without having to use any other tool. Of
>>course, they already can do that ... if they've got a 'proper' edition of
>>msvc++ 6 :-)
>>

> Actually, the 'proper' edition of msvc++ 6 doesn't help. The ms knowledge
> base doesn't even mention impdef, but if you run a search using just the
> right terms on a night of a full moon after praying to your favorite
> search engine god you can find knowledge base article 131313 (or, having
> read this post, just search for 131313) which says "There is no 32-bit
> utility that can create an import library from a .DLL, as there was with
> 16-bit versions of Visual C++."

Oh ..... but I did find impdef via Google (without praying):
http://webclub.kcom.ne.jp/ma/colinp/gcc.html
(There's a link to the impdef tarball near the bottom of the page.)

Probably needs gcc compiler to build it as the rest of the page is
mingw/gcc stuff.

In any case, the procedure you describe doesn't look too bad, and is
probably not too difficult to automate from the sounds of it - using,
say, perl.

> BTW, you could avoid having to build a .lib in the first place by using
> run-time dynamic linking to the .dll, but that has a different set of
> hassles.

I've wondered at how that might be achieved. Is it something that's set
up in the way you write/compile the apps - or is it something that's set
up in the way gmp is built ?

Cheers,
Rob

--
Any emails containing attachments will be deleted from my ISP's mail
server before I even get to see them. If you wish to email me an