Possible Documentation Bug

DTAshley@aol.com DTAshley@aol.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 20:30:42 EDT

--part1_9.104c501e.2be467b2_boundary

Dear Torbjorn and Kevin,

Thanks for the time you have invested in this.

The issue ends up to be that the "Find" function of Adobe Acrobat (which=20
searches through all the pages of a document looking for a string) could not=
=20
find the word "efficiency".  All of the obvious things are covered (i.e. I=20
did not check the box for case sensitivity).

I use the "Find" function of Acrobat frequently, and it has been reliable.

The root cause (aside from my own blockheadedness) is that somehow when I=20
distilled the .PS for the manual, all the text is there (it is visible and i=
t=20
prints), but it does not search properly.  I suspect that the .PS file is=20
somehow outside of what Adobe Acrobat Distiller expects.

I did locate the text that Kevin cited.  It is there.

I will experiment a little bit and e-mail Torbjorn and Kevin individually ab=
ut what I find out about the .PDF file and why it does not search.

Best regards and thanks, Dave.

In a message dated 5/2/2003 8:20:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tege@swox.com=20
writes:

> DTAshley@aol.com writes:
>=20
>  Attached is the .PDF I made from the PostScript which I downloaded.  I
>  cannot find the text that Kevin cited ("Efficiency") anywhere in the
>  document.
>=20
> I don't think I can do any better than Kevin.  He clearly
> explained where to find it.  Following his instructions,
> I needed perhaps 20 seconds of my valuable time to find it.
> I am sure you can find it too!
>=20
>  Please let me know the outcome of this.  Is this a documentation=20
>  inconsistency?
>=20
> Yeah, right.
>=20
> --=20
> Torbj=F6rn

--part1_9.104c501e.2be467b2_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Torbjorn and Kevin,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for the time you have invested in this.<BR>
<BR>
The issue ends up to be that the "Find" function of Adobe Acrobat (which sea=
rches through all the pages of a document looking for a string) could not fi=
nd the word "efficiency".&nbsp; All of the obvious things are covered (i.e.=20=
I did not check the box for case sensitivity).<BR>
<BR>
I use the "Find" function of Acrobat frequently, and it has been reliable.<B=

<BR>
The root cause (aside from my own blockheadedness) is that somehow when I di=
stilled the .PS for the manual, all the text is there (it is visible and it=20=
prints), but it does not search properly.&nbsp; I suspect that the .PS file=20=
is somehow outside of what Adobe Acrobat Distiller expects.<BR>
<BR>
I did locate the text that Kevin cited.&nbsp; It is there.<BR>
<BR>
I will experiment a little bit and e-mail Torbjorn and Kevin individually ab=
out what I find out about the .PDF file and why it does not search.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards and thanks, Dave.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 5/2/2003 8:20:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tege@swox.com=20=
writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">DTAshley@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
 Attached is the .PDF I made from the PostScript which I downloaded.&nbsp; I=
<BR>
 cannot find the text that Kevin cited ("Efficiency") anywhere in the<BR>
 document.<BR>
<BR>
I don't think I can do any better than Kevin.&nbsp; He clearly<BR>
explained where to find it.&nbsp; Following his instructions,<BR>
I needed perhaps 20 seconds of my valuable time to find it.<BR>
I am sure you can find it too!<BR>
<BR>
 Please let me know the outcome of this.&nbsp; Is this a documentation <BR>
 inconsistency?<BR>
<BR>
Yeah, right.<BR>
<BR>